Odessa Ranks 4th for Stolen Vehicles
As if the price of oil wasn't enough to get you down, it turns out Odessa ranks 4th in the nation in stolen vehicles.
The National Insurance Crime Bureau’s 2014 Hot Spots report puts Odessa, Texas 4th in rankings of areas with the most stolen cars in the nation. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, California had the nation’s highest per capita vehicle theft rate in 2014.
The NICB says an area with a much smaller population and a moderate number of thefts can have a higher theft rate than an area with a much more significant vehicle theft problem and a larger population.
Here are some of the basic tips from the folks at State Farm:
- Always lock the doors.
- Never leave your vehicle while the engine is running.
- Take your keys with you. Even a spare key hidden out of sight is a bad idea.
- Roll up your windows all the way.
- Hide valuables. Keep your personal belongings out of sight, preferably in the trunk.
- Park in populated areas. Thieves are less likely to disturb cars parked on busy, well-lit streets.
For 2014, the 10 MSAs with the highest vehicle theft rates were: (thefts in parentheses)
1. San Francisco (area)
2. Bakersfield, Calif.
3. Stockton-Lodi, Calif.
4. Odessa, Texas
5. Modesto, Calif.
Source: National Insurance Crime Bureau
Follow those common sense tips above to keep yourself from becoming one of these statistics!