With the weather getting cold again, fire officials are reminding residents of the dangers of using space heaters.

According to NewsWest 9, the National Fire Protection Association says that 32% of fatal home fires are caused by space heaters.

Half of those fires are started because of the heater being placed too close to items that are combustible such as clothing, bedding, and furniture upholstery.

Local fire officials remind residents to keep a 36 inch clearance around space heaters to avoid a fire and to plug all space heaters directly into a wall socket and not to use an extension cord.

Following these suggestions will keep you warm and safe this winter.

More From Mix 97.9 FM