Yikes! Triple Digit Heat This Week In Midland-Odessa Here Are 5 Tips To Help Stay Cool
In the words of the ever-so-talented Rob Thomas from the song Smooth,
man it's a hot one, like 7 inches from the midday sun.
That is exactly how hot it will be for the next few days. With the temperature hitting 106 today, 105 tomorrow, and 101 on Thursday, West Texans will have to do what we can to 'beat the heat!' I've got some suggestions that may help you try to stay cool this week.
5 TIPS TO HELP STAY COOL IN THIS WEST TEXAS HEAT:
1. Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!-drink plenty of liquids to stay hydrated and avoid drinking too much alcohol, which could lead to dehydration due to frequent urination and the loss of fluids.
2. eat foods high in water content-this is why we love watermelon in summer. It is refreshing and best when served nice and cold, straight out of an ice chest. Strawberries, cucumbers, and lettuce are also high in water content.
3. wear light-colored clothing or loose-fitting clothing-wearing. Loose clothing helps circulate air through your clothes as opposed to tight-fitting clothes, which could make you feel miserable and stuffy.
4. close curtains and turn off lights in your home-light bulbs tend to give off heat, thus making a bad situation worse. Keeping most of the lights off can definitely cool things down a bit. Also, keep the sunlight and heat out by drawing the blinds or closing the curtains.
5. take a cold shower or take a dip in a swimming pool-if you feel your body temperature rise, definitely listen to your body. Jump in a cold shower to cool down and feel refreshed, or maybe join the kids for a nice dip in a cold pool.