The family filing the lawsuit claims their child got sick after eating at a San Antonio location.

According to the Midland Reporter-Telegram, Austin-based Torchy's Tacos has a lawsuit filed by a mother who claims her son came down with salmonella after eating at one of their restaurants in San Antonio on August 21.

The lawsuit claimed the boy started developing symptoms six days later and progressively got worse over the next 10 days.

He was taken to an emergency room on September 3 but was not diagnosed with salmonella at that time.

He was then taken to a children's hospital where he was treated for symptoms from the salmonella infection.

On October 21, an outbreak of salmonella was announced that was reportedly linked to onions from Chihuahua by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Torchy's Tacos released the following statement:

"This week we learned that we are being sued based on an allegation that on August 21 a guest ate food from our Sonterra San Antonio restaurant and a week later became ill. This October lawsuit filing was the first notice we have received about this claim. At Torchy’s, our number one priority is providing safe and delicious food to our guests. We take this claim very seriously and have retained nationally respected food safety experts to track our food supply in August to see if they can find a connection between the food we served then and this claim. We can report our Sonterra location has a uniform record of excellent health inspection scores, including a 100-score routine inspection from the City of San Antonio Metropolitan Health District as recently as October 8, 2021. Our thoughts are with this guest and his family and we hope for continued recovery."

The family is asking for compensation of over $200,000 to cover medical bills as well as pain and suffering, disfigurement, future lost wages, and mental anguish.


Goosebumps and other bodily reactions, explained


KEEP READING: Here are 6 foods from your cookout that could harm your dog

More From Mix 97.9 FM