Odessa Police Give Tips to Prevent Car Theft With Winter Just a Few Months Away
The cooler temperatures we have been experiencing is a reminder that winter is just a few months away so police have some tips to keep your car out of the hands of thieves.
According to NewsWest 9, OPD says most cars are stolen because of keys left in the ignition while a car is warming up, or people keeping a spare key in their car.
Just this year alone OPD has had over 250 vehicles reported as stolen and they have written over 100 citations for “Park without Locking Ignition, Removing Keys, Stopping Engine & Setting Brakes."
Here is OPD's tips to keep you vehicle from being stolen:
- Try to avoid leaving a spare key inside your vehicle, even when hidden.
- Leaving your car unattended with keys in the ignition and the engine running is illegal and could result in a fine of up to $140.
- But, if you have a remote start device you can leave the engine running when not attended.
- If your car is stolen when left unattended with the keys in the ignition, some insurance companies will not cover it.
- If you see any suspicious activity, people, or vehicles you are encouraged to report it to the OPD.
Follow these tips to prevent being the victim of car theft.