Kesha Thanks Supporters in Statement, Offers Abuse Victims Support: ‘You Are Not Alone’
Update: Kesha has delivered the longer statement she'd promised in an Instagram post on Tuesday. In a new Facebook post, she thanks fans and colleagues for their encouraging messages, including those from past Dr. Luke collaborators Kelly Clarkson and members of Fifth Harmony: "Other entertainers who knowingly put their own careers at stake by supporting me, I will be forever grateful."
"All I ever wanted was to be able to make music without being afraid, scared, or abused," she writes. "This case has never been about a renegotiation of my record contract – it was never about getting a bigger, or a better deal. This is about being free from my abuser. I would be willing to work with Sony if they do the right thing and break all ties that bind me to my abuser."
Then the singer shifts focus to the dialogue her case has created, regarding sexual assault reporting and how women don't always feel safe speaking out for fear of backlash, saying "at this point, the issue is bigger than just about me."
"I think about young girls today – I don’t want my future daughter – or your daughter – or any person to be afraid that they will be punished if they speak out about being abused, especially if their abuser is in a position of power," she wrote.
While she expresses worry that the events of her case haven't helped give women the confidence to speak out, she encouraged victims of abuse to do so. "I know now how this all feels and will forever fight for you the way perfect strangers have been fighting for me."
She ends on a positive note, before a final thanks: "We're all in this together. You are not alone." Read the full message on her Facebook page.
The singer-songwriter posted a somber selfie to Instagram on Tuesday night (February 23), thanking supporters for standing by her and promising a longer update in the near future. It was the first time she'd spoken publicly since February 18, when a judge denied her request for an injunction against producer Dr. Luke and Sony, locking her into a contract with both the man she says emotionally and sexually abused her and the company she claims looked the other way.
"I am beyond words in gratitude. thank you is not enough but it is all I have," she writes. "A million times over and forever thank you. the support I have received has left my face swollen from tears. I love you all so much. ❤️ a statement too large for this format is coming...."
Kesha's received a huge outpouring of public support since her legal news last week, both from longtime fans and high-profile celebrities including Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande and Kaley Cuoco. Two Grammy-winning music producers, Jack Antonoff and Zedd, have both offered to work with her.
"Very very sorry to hear about the whole situation," Zedd tweeted to Kesha on February 23. "I'll be happy to produce a song for you if you want my help."
Earlier that day, Lena Dunham shared an essay on her Lenny site called "Why Kesha's Case Is About More Than Kesha" which explored the dynamics of controlling behavior and abuse, both within the entertainment industry and everywhere.
"The fact is, Kesha will never have a doctor’s note. She will never have a videotape that shows us that Gottwald threatened and shamed her, and she will never be able to prove, beyond the power of her testimony, that she is unsafe doing business with this man,” Dunham wrote. “And no, none of this was in her contract. But what man, what company endeavors to keep a woman saddled with someone who she says has caused her years of trauma, shame, and fear?"